2009年6月7日 星期日

"Exchange Diaries"

Stephen is one of my customers. He seldom visits My Book Cottage. But everytime we meet in street, we normally have a feeling of "miss you". I would like to use the word "we" because I do think that he also has such feeling.

He writes me emails from time to time, just like kind of habit. 2 years ago, well before I started writting blogs, he emailed me his blog and encouraged me to write my blog too.

Today, I rec'd his email again. I suddenly have a feeling that it seems like "Exchanging Diaries".
It's very interesting feeling. I would like to catch such feeling and record here so that I won't miss it even when my computer collapse some day (Actually, I missed many emails with friends whenever my computer gets mad!). Touch wood!

***************

From: Stephen Austin
Send: Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:25 AM
To: Hilda
Subject: Sunday

Hi Hilda,
It was a good Sunday morning. I forced myself to get up early and put the washing on the roof. Then I went for an hour-long run. It felt very good and prepared me well for the rest of the day. I'm quite busy on Sunday mornings as I have lessons and I have a few things planned for this afternoon.
I hope the week passed as pleasantly for you as it did for me. I guess you might have done a book fair or two; and for the rest of the time you were happily staying at your nice cottage. I reorganised a few priorities and now I’m nearly back on track concerning my own projects. I had been doing some voluntary work, and I had to admit that this had been taking up too much of my own time. It was an uncomfortable choice. There really is no limit to the amount of voluntary work you can do. It would be easy to spend all of your free time doing it; that’s how much the world needs it. But then, you also need to balance this with your own needs.
I had some ideas some kids’ stories this week, and soon I must write them up. Some people might have the wrong impression that just because kids’ stories use simpler language, the ideas there can be not so good. This is not true. Whenever I try out one of my stories on a kid, and I know that the story isn’t up to standard, you can see it from the kid’s reaction.
It rained and was rather cooler than usual for the Dragon Boat races. We had them on TV during the day off. It was part of the atmosphere of the day; rather like watching a reporter in a raincoat from the promenade of Tsim Sha Tsui during a typhoon, telling us that it’s raining heavily and that there’s strong wind.
This afternoon I plan to go to Victoria Park. There are two fourth of June rallies each year. One of them is the Sunday before the anniversary with a demonstration and march to the government buildings, and then a candlelight vigil on the day of the fourth. I hope to get some interesting photographs.
I hope you have a lovely Sunday.

*********************

From: Hilda
Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2009 4:53 PM
To: Stephen Austin
Subject: Re: Sunday

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for your email.
I enjoy Sundays. I enjoy walking to church, meeting the lovely kids, greeting my b/s...... and enjoy the family time at night.
Yesterday, there was a film-sharing section in My Book Cottage. We had totally 5 persons here together sharing the film "Pursuit of Happiness". From my own perspective, I suppose, living in the REAL MOMENTS is the origin of happiness. Too much "looking-back" or "looking-forward" makes one overlook the "present". Past gathers the knowledge & experience. It's the steps for onward going. Future gives us motivation & hope. They both are "good". Present allows us taste directly. That's "good good".
Actually, I am not that busy in these few months. I practise Tai Chi several times a week. Since it's close to summer holiday, I won't have many book fairs in these few months. There's nothing to be rush but to plan and to prepare. You know, I always tie-up by the trivial things here in the cottage, even there's no book fair at all.
At present, I am planning for some summer courses for children, though I'm not sure if they will succeed. Just try, no big deal. And I want to re-schedule the story-telling section during summer holiday. I will try to invite some voluntary storytellers. Actually, I only have all those in my mind, not implement yet.
I visited Yuen Long last Thursday and did a bit hiking. I love the village atomosphere and the natural fresh air at the hill. Have you visited Yuen Long before? I suggest you take some time visiting there. Some photos attached.
Yes, 64 is approaching. It always be a sensitive and unforgottenable figure to many Chinese. There're too many hidden wounds and contradictory feelings in Chinese hearts. Me too, whenever think about the scene (appeared in TV) 20 years ago, I can't help dwelling in it, though the feeling is not as strong as before. I started reading "Prisoner of the State" today. I hope I can find some more info to fill up the missing lines in history, though I don't think I can have a full picture ever.
................

Cheers,
Hilda

*****************************

From: Stephen Austin
Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2009 9:38 AM
To: Hilda
Subject: Re: Sunday

Hi Hilda,
It's Sunday again and a good time to write to you. Hope that this Sunday is as nice as all your other ones. This Sunday is a really sunny one with the temperature going up to about 31ºC. If you're going hiking again be sure to drink lots. I'm sure I don't need to tell you this. It was really hot during my run this morning.
I've read quite a lot about the pursuit of happiness, and a lot of philosophy and popular self-help literature deal with it. I could not agree more with your conclusions and your own perspective. People who do not have the insight that you have, that is they cling too much to the past with things you can't change or yearn after the mere material things in the future, are the ones whom happiness often eludes.
You treat the past as an education and a source of knowledge. With the right mindfulness and reasonable expectations the future gives us hope. But enjoying the savouring the present is the greatest source of contentment at the moment, which is why I'm quite happy writing this, knowing that you'll read it soon. A perfect moment.
You caught some nice moments during your hike to Yeun Long. The photos are nice. You caught some nice pussy cats and some plants. Some photos of you would be good, too. I have visited Yeun Long, but not had the pleasure of walking around the hills.
............

Catch you later,Stephen.

From: Hilda
Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2009 4:13
PMTo: Stephen AustinSubject:
RE: Sunday

Thanks, Stephen.
I enjoy reading your email, maybe somewhat like you're happy writing it.
Yesterday, I had dinner with two of my ex-classmates in university. We had really good time, sharing our existing jobs,difficulties, plans, and so on.We share our happiness and difficulties with care and support (though mainly mentally, not physically). I am happy that we have long-lasting and sincere friendship.
Yes. It's really so hot today. I woke up quite early in the morning as I had a meeting and then to teach the Sunday School today. And now, I am back to my little cottage, going to read "Prisoner of the State" again (I haven't finished it yet ma).
I think maybe I go out rather early in the morning to practice Tai Chi therefore we can seldom meet each other.
......

Cheers,Hilda

沒有留言:

張貼留言